Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Tiered Garden Bed Review

I always liked the idea of growing fresh fruit and vegetables. For a long time, I'd kept trying various methods to make my gardening experience better. Then I found out about raised garden beds. There is less bending, and the soil is also easier to work with, since it is soil that you add.

The tiered garden bed that I purchased is by Suncast. It came as a kit that had to be assembled.

I have been quite pleased with my raised garden beds. So much so that I started out with one, and have since grown my garden to having four of them. I also enclosed the whole area with fencing. I used old screens to line around the bottom to keep the rabbits out.



Update: The last time I checked, this particular raised garden bed was no longer available, at least online, when I did my search.

Upon further checking, I thought you might be interested to see another option. This model caught my attention one day when I was out shopping in Mendards. I did some online research and watched several videos about its use, and reviews have been pretty favorable.



This elevated garden bed is by Keter. It measures 19.4 inch wide by 44.9 inch long, and stands 29.8 inches high.

It has a simple watering system with a reservoir in the bottom. It has a float at the bottom of the tube which will raise the little leaves at the top of the float mechanism, that will let the gardener know when the excess water should be drained. It has a cap that is opened to let the water flow out into your bucket, garden, or whatever. This will help to prevent root rot.

It is rated as indoor/outdoor.

I plan to get the smaller version to use in my enclosed porch once it gets built. It is rated as urban for herb gardening and balcony planters.



The small raised garden bed measures 14.7 inch wide by 32.3 inch long, and stands 30.7 inches high. It also includes a tray for starting seedlings.

It also has a reservoir and float system. You can see the little green leaves that are attached to the float mechanism, in the upper left of the unit. The smaller garden bed also has a shelf, which will be a convenient place for me to place my gardening tools.

Both of these garden beds are made of resin, polypropylene, and look to be well built. I will give further updates once I get one of my own.

Happy gardening.

Cheryl Paton

The above text links go to Amazon. As an Amazon affiliate, Cheryl Paton will earn income on qualified purchases made through these links.

No comments:

Post a Comment