Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Are you puzzled about working 3D crystal puzzles?

The first time I saw a 3D crystal puzzle, I was intrigued. 3D crystal puzzles are jigsaw puzzles that are made out of translucent plastic pieces. They looked so neat, and after it was complete, I would have a neat little item to display, and showcase my achievement. But first, I had some figuring out to do.



The first one I purchased was the pyramid. The part that helped me figure out this puzzle was that there was one little piece that was the tip for the top of the pyramid. After inspecting that piece, it helped me to figure out what kind and size of puzzle piece I needed to add next. The other helpful tip for putting the pyramid puzzle together, was that the side edges are smooth, and have an angled direction to them. (The slanted sides will all have to go the same direction in order to make a smooth edged pyramid.) With those things in mind, I made a lot better progress in putting it all together.

By the way, do you know how many sides a pyramid has? Three or four. Check at the bottom for the answer.



The second 3d puzzle I purchased was the diamond. With previous knowledge in mind, of working the pyramid puzzle, I looked for the tip, for the point of the diamond. There was no such piece! No point was to be found. But I did find a piece that had a rod or spoke coming out from it. Ah ha, pieces got added to this rod piece. I started building from there.

Then I came across another piece with a rod coming from it. It was identical to the first spoke piece that I had found. So I started adding pieces to this spoke piece as well. I continued building both sides of the diamond on these spoke pieces, until all the pieces were used, and then the two sides got snapped together, and placed in it's base. Cool. Another challenge was completed. And the tip was formed at the end!

Are you ready for your challenge? Have you already worked a 3D crystal puzzle, or is this your first? You're welcome to share your tips and/or experience too.

And in case you were wondering, the pyramid has four sides. Take a look at the pyramid shown above. The view is showing two sides. Those two sides are half of the pyramid. There are two more triangular sides on the other side of the pyramid.

Happy puzzling.

Cheryl Paton

No comments:

Post a Comment